Website Norwegian Refugee Council
This Job Listing is about Norwegian Refugee Council in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia 2022
NORCAP is the Norwegian Refugee Council’s expert deployment mechanism. NORCAP strengthens international and local partners’ capacity to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crisis by deploying highly qualified women and men from its world leading standby rosters. The deployed experts work with UN agencies, humanitarian organizations, development actors and national stakeholders to save lives, build resilient communities, ensure peaceful transitions from conflict and promote sustainable governance.
NORDEM is NORCAP’s programme on human rights, democracy and peace. We support international organisations and operations that work in the field of human rights, democratisation and peace with qualified personnel. In addition, we offer advice, support the transfer of experience and contribute to research. Our expertise covers such fields as good governance, democratic institutions, independence of the judiciary, judicial and legal reform, human rights, election observation and election assistance.
African Union. Since 2013 NORCAP has worked in partnership with the African Union Commission Peace and Security Department (PSD) to meet their growing demand for qualified and specialized civilian experts. NORCAP have supported peace and security initiatives specifically in the area of peace support operations, conflict prevention, and post-conflict reconstruction and development. Based on the AUC need of continued expertise support NORCAP is expanding the support within and beyond PSD, to also include governance and development. NORCAP and the AUC work together in choosing deployments that will further the work of the AU towards Agenda 2063.
This position is for applicants with citizenship from member states of AU only.
Major Duties And Responsibilities
- Provide Technical assistance of the STC Number 8 on Public, Local Governance, Urban Development and Decentralisation (AU-STC No 8) Sub Committee on
- Develop Resource’s Mobilization Strategy for the advocacy for the entry into force of the African Charter on Values and Principles of Decentralization and Local Governance and Local Development implementation and its implementations programs
- Ensure the promotion of decentralization, local government/authority and local development on the continent through the use of the African Charter on Decentralization, Local Government and Local Development;
- Support the delivery of the technical objectives of the Sub Committee on Decentralization and Local Governance assigned to him/her for the implementation of sectorial work plans and the initiation of advisory opinions and policy papers within their thematic area.
- Serve as the focal point for STC No 8 Decentralization and Local Governance Sub Committee, and at this end, engage stakeholders within Members States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs)/Regional Mechanisms (RMs) and relevant international organisations in designing and implementing strategies
- Provide advice on STC No 8 issues to various stakeholders, including input into official communications, organising seminars, workshops and other related activities in the field of Decentralisation, Local Governance and Local Development;
- Assist in planning, preparing and implementing programme activities relating to the AU-STC Number 8, specifically Decentralisation, Local Governance and Local Development;
- Assist in the STC’S linkages with the AU Commission, STC Sub-committee on Decentralisation, Local Governance and Local Development; and other AU Organs
- Support programme activities including ratification and implementation of the African Charter on the Values and Principles of Decentralisation, Local Governance and Local Development;
- Support the Operationalization of the AU High Council of Local Authorities that will ensure that the needs and aspirations of the African peoples at the local level are translated in the policies and strategies of the Union and that such policies and strategies of the Union are owned and implemented at the local level
- Ensure appropriate management of the programme budgets & resources whilst ensuring maximum cost-effectiveness in the implementation of all the project activities.
- Prepare reports, speaking notes, briefs, draft decisions and resolutions and assist in the preparation and organization of meetings, conferences and consultation on Decentralisation, Local Governance and Local Development;
- Undertake policy analysis and research on regional or global developments within their thematic area for the purposes of initiating policy papers and/technical advisory opinions for the policy organs of the African
- Perform other duties as may be assigned
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION & WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A Master’s degree in Decentralisation, or Governance and Development, Law, International Relations, Political sciences, Sociology or any other relevant and related field from a recognized University.
- At least 7-10 years of work experience in a similar role, ideally in a regional or international organizations, with demonstrable skills in policy analysis, design and implementation of Decentralization, local development programs.
Skills And Competencies Required
- Conversant with the AU-STC No 8 operations and procedures within the Department of Political Affairs framework and the African Union Commission in general.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills; both verbal and written.
- Strong ability to work closely with a multiplicity of AU Organs and Member States across various levels.
- Good understanding of key trends in international development.
- Proven ability to solve complex project issues through analysis, definition and a clear way forward.
- Strong ability to work in a team setup
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to set priorities successfully, and work with other professionals to achieve goals within tight deadlines
- Ability to work and deliver high quality outcome in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and pressure to perform.
- Very good computer application skills (MS-Word, MS-Excel, MS-PowerPoint and other office
We can offer
Contract duration of 24 months with possibility of extension
Kindly submit your CV and application in English and include your full name as written in your passport.
To be taken into consideration it is required that you build a CV in our recruitment system by completing your personal information, education, professional work history, language skills, and other relevant sections in the fields available.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across more than 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks.
NRC is an equal opportunities employer and aims to have staffing diversity in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, nationality and physical ability.
NORCAP solves key challenges in the humanitarian, development and peacebuilding sectors, in order to better protect vulnerable people’s lives and rights. We build partnerships and projects with national and international organisations and stakeholders. Skilled NORCAP experts contribute to developing partners’ capacity – to identify and address challenges, improve collaboration and encourage new and innovative approaches. NORCAP is part of the Norwegian Refugee Council.
Company: Norwegian Refugee Council
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Application Deadline: N/A