Website New Orleans Culinary & Hospitality Institute
This Job Listing is about New Orleans Culinary & Hospitality Institute in Harvey, LA 2022
New Orleans Culinary and Hospitality Institute (NOCHI) is a private, non-profit organization vocational school licensed by the State of Louisiana’s Board of Regents. The school opened in January 2019 with its 100-day Culinary Arts Certificate and Baking & Pastry Arts Certificate programs. NOCHI’s certificate programs are designed to teach the fundamental knowledge and technical skills, as well as the work ethic and demeanor, required to hit the ground running in the real world. NOCHI also hosts events, continuing education classes, and private classes for the public.
NOCHI seeks to build a team of all ‘A’ players with a service/hospitality mindset, extremely high standards of excellence, and a passion for our industry who thrive in a start-up environment. NOCHI is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace and is proud to participate in a multi-year DEI initiative. Our organization works to ensure flexibility and equal opportunity for all candidates and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran’s status in employment, education, or activities.
PRIMARY ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Culinary Arts Instructor’s main role is to instruct, supervise and support students in the Culinary Arts certificate program. In addition, the Culinary Arts Instructor may be asked to aid with student recruitment, instruction of enthusiast classes, and/or provide continuing education to those in the hospitality industry. This position reports to the Director of Education. Key duties and tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Teach the Culinary Arts certificate courses to a set cohort of students each term
- Create, follow, and update course syllabi that includes, but is not limited to, course outcomes, course structure, materials to be covered, grading criteria, due dates for materials, exam dates and office hours
- Participate in curriculum development and revision of existing courses as it relates to course content, objectives, standards, and instructional methods
- Design and develop supplemental teaching materials such as handouts, graphics, exercises, and other forms of audio-visual materials to enhance and supplement classroom instruction
- Evaluate students and submit grades in accordance with the criteria in the course outline and other applicable school policies and procedures
- Advise students as assigned. Meet with assigned students at least once each semester to assist students in determining goals and managing satisfactory academic progress (as defined in NOCHI School Catalog), referring them to special services and support as needed. Maintain records of advising sessions to include meeting dates, student goals, student progress, and other pertinent information
- Participate in the accreditation process and provide informationeports as needed
- Support institute leadership in developing departmental goals and objectives as part of the institution’s continuous improvement cycle
- Participate in and support a wide range of school activities such as student recruitment initiatives, graduation ceremonies, enthusiast courses/programs, and special NOCHI events
- Complete the required program/discipline review annually
- Demonstrate continued professional growth by staying current in and expanding knowledge of subject area
- Ability to run a professional kitchen following health department standards
- Ability to demonstrate strong culinary technical skills and extensive knowledge of general culinary theories/principles, a diverse repertoire of cuisine knowledge, and current industry trends and developments
- Willingness to work effectively with colleagues and students of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds, demonstrating an ability to work with others in a courteous and cooperative fashion
- Effective, yet engaging and dynamic teaching and communications style
- Ability to adapt teaching methodology based on individual and group needs and abilities
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- High standards of excellence and attention to detail
- Service/hospitality mindset; Must have a strong understanding of culinary and hospitality principals
- Enthusiasm and passion for culinary education and New Orleans
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of the job, the employee will be regularly required to:
- Stand and walk for up to seven hours at a time;
- Talk and hear for up to seven hours at a time in a noisy environment;
- Taste and smell;
- Use hands or fingers to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- The employee must consistently utilize personal protective equipment, and whenever using a sharp or potentially sharp tool or instrument, wear a cut-resistant glove.
ALL OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Education: High school degree or GED. Culinary certificate or degree or related field required. Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years of executive-level culinary management experience and/or a minimum of 2 years teaching experience in Culinary Arts or related field
- Computers/Technology: Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) suite and POS systems required. Experience with learning management systems preferred.
- Certificates & Licenses: ServSafe certification
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 – $65,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Vaccine required, masking when needed and mandated.
- Associate (Preferred)
- Hospitality management: 3 years (Preferred)
- Teaching: 2 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
Company: New Orleans Culinary & Hospitality Institute
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Harvey, LA
Application Deadline: N/A