This Job Listing is about Citi in Kuwait City, Al Asimah, Kuwait 2022
Job Id: 22570830
Citi Country Officer (CCO) Kuwait- Director/ C15 (Kuwaiti nationals encouraged to apply)
Citi was amongst the first foreign banks to establish presence on the ground in Kuwait in 2006, with deep routed relationships with the state dating back to the 1950s. The business in Kuwait is an Institutional Clients Group (ICG) franchise supported by circa 35 employees in country. The business activity covers the Public Sector, Private Sector, and Financial institutions with well-developed client relationships.
The Citi franchise in Kuwait will be part of the newly formed Middle East and Pakistan Sub-Cluster, which also includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, Iraq, and Pakistan. Centred on the Gulf Co-operation Council (GCC) countries, this new Sub-Cluster is positioned to cover a geography with significant wealth and appetite for investments locally and globally. The Kuwait CCO, along with the rest of the Middle East and Pakistan Sub-Cluster CCOs, will report directly to Emerging Markets Cluster Head.
The Citi Country Officer is the face of Citi in the country, playing the crucial role of leading and protecting Citi franchise. In both leading the business and protecting the franchise, the CCO must achieve collaboration and alignment across all stakeholders – effectively managing a large matrix team.
CCOs connect Citi, harnessing the powerful advantage of perspectives from approximately 100 countries and jurisdictions around the world to enable our uniquely global view.
The CCOs broad perspective fuels our competencies, drives efficiencies across our business, and stimulates diverse ideas – ultimately, enabling progress for our clients in new and better ways. It is the CCO’s leadership and our global network of talent and capabilities that form the backbone of Citi’s strength in enabling growth and economic progress around the world.
- Leading the Business:
- Ensuring that an annual business plan is approved by all respective businesses, product lines and functions as well as the relevant Regional CEO, with performance against that plan monitored regularly.
- Managing (directly or through matrix reporting, as appropriate) all businesses, product lines and functions based in the country.
- Leading the Public Sector Business, in partnership with the Public Sector Group, including business development and client relationships.
- Acting as a single, coordinated face to the local marketplace and the lead Citi representative in the country in front of external stakeholders including clients, regulators, government, community, media and others and actively raising Citi’s profile.
- Being involved in the decision-making process for acquisitions / investments / divestments for proprietary M&A in the country.
- Providing oversight for all critical country and other risk limits and for country scenario planning.
- Ensuring a realistic succession plan is in place for key country roles, to include at minimum permanent members of CCC. In partnership with HR, executing Citi’s talent agenda and overseeing franchise-wide talent review and development activities.
- Protecting the Franchise:
- Protecting Citi’s reputation in the country to the best of his/her ability.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations (local and US).
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable requirements regarding “financial inclusion”.
- Ensuring compliance with all corporate policies, including ethical standards, corporate governance standards and business practice requirements.
- Leading management and coordination of governmental and regulatory relationships.
- Promoting a strong culture of timely escalation, ethics, compliance and control.
- Identifying, assessing, mitigating, communicating and anticipating all types of risks through the development and sustainability of appropriate control mechanisms.
- Leading and coordinating consistent application of Managers Controls Assessment (MCA) process across the franchise.
- Managing the organization and corporate governance of country-based legal entities and their regulatory reporting.
- Leading Citi’s response to a franchise-wide event, e.g. crisis or disaster. In such a situation, all business and function heads must work under the CCO’s direction.
- Previous experience of managing Risk, Finance and Controls.
- Business Management and running a P&L.
- Managing teams across a matrix organization.
- Relationship/stakeholder management with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Cultural sensitivity gained through working in more than one country.
- Navigating corporate governance frameworks.
- Understanding and translating globalegional strategy.
- Have a University Degree and ideally an MBA
- Have at least 15 years of experience, of which at least 12 years in banking, finance or economic affairs related to their competence in banking activities, with at least 7 years in key executive positions in those areas.
- Have the technical and leadership capabilities to take this position
- Arabic speaker preferable
- CO/SCO designation is preferred but not required
Knowledge and Skills:
- Core product knowledge and ability to use diagnostic capabilities to bring the potential of the Firm together for the client.
Impact and Influence
- Exceptional speaking and written communication skills.
- Strong listening skills and ability to influence key stakeholders.
- Exhibits credibility, flexibility and authenticity when communicating with clients, employees, internal partners, regulators, media and other key stakeholders.
- Builds strong and lasting relationships with clients and partners.
- Navigates internal and external networks to drive value for clients and the Firm.
Risk, Finance and Controls
- Familiar with Citi’s Risk culture, Risk and Finance framework and their application at a country level.
- Sound understanding of credit, price, interest rate, liquidity, operational, reputation, strategic and compliance risk.
- Sound understanding of capital allocation.
- Familiar with Citi’s franchise governance framework.
- Creates alignment between the global strategy and local execution, while balancing resources among front, middle and back offices.
- Ensures timely issue escalation within and from the country.
- Strengthens relationships with external stakeholders, especially regulators.
- Understands the importance of local corporate governance requirements with the subsidiary board, where applicable, and often with outside directors.
Leadership Principle 1: We Take Ownership
We challenge one another to a higher standard in everything we do.
- Greets change with optimism, curiosity, and resilience.
- Speaks up with candour and welcomes challenge from others.
- Learns from experiences, adapts, and improves.
- Prioritizes the greater good when contributing to and honouring group decisions.
Leadership Principle 2: We Deliver with Pride
We strive for client excellence, controls excellence, and operational excellence.
- Simplifies, standardizes, and clarifies work.
- Holds self and others accountable for managing risk with appropriate controls.
- Creates long-term value by fixing root causes.
- Takes pride in always doing the right thing.
Leadership Principle 3: We Succeed Together
We value and learn from different perspectives to surpass stakeholder expectations.
- Breaks down barriers to deliver the best of Citi.
- Measures performance through the lens of our stakeholders.
- Invests in colleagues from all backgrounds.
- Shows empathy for colleagues, clients, and communities
Job Family Group:
Business Strategy, Management & Administration
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the “EEO is the Law” poster. View the EEO is the Law Supplement.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Kuwait City, Al Asimah, Kuwait
Application Deadline: N/A